Are you experiencing the irritating signs of vaginal thrush, such as a strange discharge with pain, discomfort, and inflammation in your intimate area? Vaginal thrush is one of the most common vaginal fungal infections experienced by females globally.
This post intends to impart knowledge about the symptoms, causes, and prevention of vaginal thrush. It also throws light on various vaginal thrush treatment options. All this information will help you to deal with the vaginal thrush symptoms in a better way. So let’s begin!
Vaginal Thrush Symptoms
Vaginal thrush in girls and women comes along with the following symptoms:-
• Secretion of vaginal thrush discharge, which is thick and white like cottage cheese.
• The area outside your vagina feels itchy and sore.
• Pain while urinating.
• Sore vagina after sex due to thrush.
• Severe vaginal thrush looks like cracked and red damaged skin over the vagina.
Vaginal Thrush Causes
Thrust is a yeast infection that doesn’t seriously harm your vaginal health. But it’s an uncomfortable and painful condition. Following factors lead to vaginal thrush in girls and women:-
• Taken Antibiotics Recently
The good bacteria in the vagina fight the fungus, which causes thrush. Antibiotics weaken the good bacteria in your body, leading to vaginal thrush.
• Hormonal Changes
Your body may react with vaginal thrush after major hormonal changes. Therefore it’s common to get vaginal thrush during pregnancy and while taking HRT (Hormone Replacement Therapy). HRT affects women’s health in many ways and is useful in the treatment of menopause
• Weakness of Immune System
The yeast named candida albicans is responsible for causing thrush. It is always present in your vaginal flora, but your immune system keeps it under check. It causes disruption only when your immune system gets weakened
• High Levels of Diabetes
High diabetes or sugar levels in your blood mean high sugar in your urine as well. And sugar helps candida to overgrow and cause thrush yeast infection.
Vaginal Thrush Treatment
There are two ways to get rid of vaginal thrush. They are as follows:-
• Topical Thrush Treatments
Various effective vaginal thrush creams are available over the counter and with a prescription that you need to insert in the vagina with the help of an applicator. Gyno Daktarin creamand Canesten duo vaginal thrush cream are some of the most proven tropical treatments for vaginal thrush.
• Tablets for Thrush Treatment
Oral medication is also effective for vaginal thrush treatment. Fluconazole tablet is taken as a single dose to treat thrushes,and Itraconazole is taken in 2 doses. These medicines are available OTC, but don’t buy them and consult your GP for advice if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
Tips for Vaginal Thrush Prevention
You can take the following steps to prevent your vagina from thrush:-
• Always wipe from front to back when you go to the toilet to prevent the spread of candida albicans from the anus to the vagina.
• Maintain the hygiene of your intimate area. Keep it dry and clean.
• Don’t go long without changing your pads, pantie liners, or tampons.
• Avoid tight bottoms like skinny jeans and pants.
• Vaginal wash, deodorants, perfumes, and scented tampons are all irritants. Keep these things away from your vagina.
• Have a lot of probiotics to encourage good bacteria in the vagina, which can fight yeast infections.
• Have protected sex and avoid sex with multiple partners. Keep your sex toys clean to prevent vaginal fungal infection.
- Take supplements for vaginal health on a daily basis to help prevent problems like bacterial vaginosis while promoting a healthy pH level.
Vaginal thrush is a common yeast infection, but it’s also easily curable. If you witness any of its signs and symptoms, don’t delay obtaining a suitable and effective cream or tablet. Also, your vagina can be thrush-free by keeping in mind the tips mentioned here for its prevention.
Krishma Patel is the co-founder and the Superintendent Pharmacist at MedsNow UK online pharmacy. She is passionate about showcasing the integral function community pharmacies can play in supporting the healthcare system and the NHS by providing patients with high quality, safe and discreet access to healthcare at their convenience. Krishma is also the Director and the Superintendent Pharmacist of Enimed Ltd.